Cooking can be a delicious experience, but there are always hidden dangers that can have serious effects on your food and your health. Have you done anything to prevent these 5 hidden kitchen hazards?
5. Air fresheners: it’s always great to have your kitchen smelling fresh and delicious, but you’ve got to watch out for what you use. Common air fresheners have highly toxic components called phthalates, which can cause asthma and headaches. Look for natural alternatives, like pure essential oils or cinnamon sticks and cloves.
4. Teflon: this is a really common material for your pots and pans, and, while it’s not toxic per se, if you overheat it, it can release toxic fumes that have even been known to kill small pet birds. Watch out not to leave your Teflon pans unattended, and don’t let them heat up too much before putting your food in.
3. Dirty sponges: your go-to for cleaning requires very special care, or it can grow bacteria and transfer it to your china. To avoid this, you can microwave your sponge for about a minute right after using it. This would not only dry it, stopping mold from growing, but it would also sterilize it, getting rid of most bacteria. Still, it's always ideal that you change these often for greater safety.
2. Bad storage habits in your fridge: any raw food that you store should always be in sealed containers or bags, or else their juices could easily contaminate the rest of your food, making it spoil beforehand.
1. Mold and bacteria: humid areas, like your kitchen sink or your fridge, are always really likely to grow mold, which can cause allergies, asthma and respiratory issues, so you should always pay close attention to any possible leaks around the area. Your washcloths, towels and pot holders are also really vulnerable to mold and, because of food stains, they are an ideal place to grow bacteria that is later transferred to the food you eat, so make sure they are clean and not to put them away while they’re still humid.
Keep a clean and safe kitchen, and your every meal will always be as delicious and as healthy as possible!